Monday, March 28, 2016

My First Experience with Solo Travel

Have you ever considered travelling alone? Is the idea of leaving your comfort zone without a hand to hold exciting and also terrifying? I’m going to tell you the story of my first solo travels.


Way back in September 2012 I said a temporary good-bye to my life in Canada and flew away to Europe. My first stop was Amsterdam and I couldn’t have been more excited.


Flying doesn’t bother me and jetlag isn’t really an issue so I was ready for adventure as soon as I got off the plane.


Issue #1 – I neglected to remind myself about the language barriers I would experience in Europe. I couldn’t read any signs or maps and I wasn’t super keen on approaching a stranger to ask where to go.


I did eventually find an airport employee who pointed me in the direction of the bus terminal, told me which bus to take and what stop to get off at. Never underestimate the kindness of strangers. They won’t be pleasant 100% of the time, but knowing what I know now I would be willing to risk it.


With my first obstacle down I got on my bus and then off my bus at the appropriate stop.


Issue #2 – I still couldn’t read any signs, didn’t have a map and my bags were much too heavy.


I found a really lovely man that was happy to point me in the right direction and I eventually made it to the hostel.


Going on walking tours and talking to the other travellers was a great way to keep from feeling like I was alone, because I WASN’T.


The next city I was in was Frankfurt, Germany.

Issue #3 - I never tried to meet or talk to anyone in the time I was here. Everyone seemed to already be in groups and doing what they wanted and I never found any tours so I felt a bit isolated for my first day. When I woke up on day 2 I realized, I’m in Germany!!


I really had to learn to accept the silence and make the best of it. I ended up having a really amazing day by myself.


After Frankfurt I went to live with my Au Pair family. That is a story for an entirely different post though.


The language barrier continued to be an issue that came up here or there. I remember going out for my first afternoon in Athens. I lived in a suburb so I had to take a bus to the metro and then ride the metro into the city.


The little old man who worked at the newspaper stand that sold the bus tickets didn’t speak one single word or English. Literally, not one word. That very first time I went in there we played impromptu charades for 5 minutes and he still couldn’t understand what I was asking for. I had nearly accepted defeat when another man walked in, understood what I was asking and translated for me. From that point on I just walked in and smiled at him, he would get my ticket, I gave him exact change for it and we nodded our silent thank you and good-byes. You have got to do what is necessary.


I don’t consider this to be an issue because it was one of the greatest learning experiences for me.


The biggest “issue” I experienced on my 5 months away from home was the one single time I felt homesick.


It was my first island adventure when I was in Greece. I took my bus to the metro and the metro to the port where I got on my ferry and sailed off to Aegina. Everything was going well until I got off the ferry on the island and realized I didn’t pre-book accommodations for the first time.


For a reason I can’t remember anymore I decided to take a bus to the far side of the island and stay there. I really quickly found a nice hotel to stay in and headed right back out to explore.


That’s when it hit me. I was alone on an island, my family is so far away and every shop and restaurant is closed… I didn’t know what to do with myself, I felt lonely and kind of scared. I actually spent about 3 solid hours trying to convince myself not to leave the island right then. I had to learn to enjoy my own company eventually so why not do it on a gorgeous Greek island.


Staying there turned out to be one of the most memorable parts of my trip. I had the best ice cream while wandering the tiny streets, I met a really lovely couple from South Africa and had a conversation in English (I had really missed that!) In the morning I was awake early enough to watch the most incredible sunrise over the sea and then as the day got warmer I got to swim in that sea. This wasn't just one of the most memorable parts of my trip, but a highlight of my life. Watching the sunrise like that was unforgettable.




Even though I continued to have moments of panic it turned out to be so perfect. That experience and the things I learned while I was there are not something I will forget about any time soon and they helped me to be okay for future travels.


The best thing to know is that when those feelings come, whatever they are; homesickness, loneliness or fear, they will also pass. You will remember where you are and how incredible it can be. You will learn from those things and it will make future travel even more exciting. Not many adventures come without a hiccup or two. Embrace those things and continue to travel.



post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l